Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Day Two Continued: Take Out


I was exhausted tonight, but wanted to see Lake Erie before the sun went down. I asked the guy in the office at the motel about a good place to get take out. He recommended the Freeport. The Freeport's claim to fame is that it the northernmost restaurant in Pennsylvania. I had a delicious meal, but the highlight was the menu with a bunch of Lake Erie facts and history.

What I learned on my summer vacation:

Lake Erie:

- formed 10,000-14,000 years ago as glaciers receded
- 241 miles long
- Ranks 12th largest of world's fresh water lakes (VERY COOL!)
- Max. depth 210 ft.
- average depth 58 ft.
- Over 100 species of fish found in Lake Erie
- The treachery of Lake Erie has claimed over 500 ships since the launch of the
Griffin in 1679.

The Town of Northeast:

- five wineries are in this area
- 80 miles west of Buffalo and Niagara Falls

2 comments:

  1. I cannot believe it didn't say on that placemat thing that I went to camp there! Hrumpphhh! That's historic, yo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lake Erie is the Birthplace of the U.S. Navy as well (Or at least one place that claimes that distinction!) . See any of the old Erie Canal? Look sharp; there are pieces of it around.

    ReplyDelete